|Date Posted||September 12, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
If you like working at a company where individual contribution matters and is recognized, where you can have both autonomy and support to achieve your goals and where creativity and accomplishment are rewarded, then you should consider BioSpace, Inc.
BioSpace is the leading online community for industry news and careers for life science professionals. For over 30 years, BioSpace has provided essential insights, opportunities and tools to connect innovative organizations and talented professionals who advance health and quality of life across the globe. Our team operates with a fun, entrepreneurial style that combines our passion and high-energy with an aggressive vision of growing BioSpace.
BioSpace has an exciting opportunity for a Staff Writer to join our team and help us evolve our editorial strategy and uncover major industry stories and topics in the biotech world. This role will be responsible for proactively identifying opportunities to help differentiate BioSpace in the marketplace through our quality journalism.
Employees located in the West Des Moines, Iowa area work a hybrid schedule: In-office Monday – Wednesday, and work-from-home option Thursday – Friday. This position may be 100% remote for the right candidate located outside of the Des Moines metro.
In this position you will:
- Write daily news on the biotech and pharma industries
- Writing includes quick-turnaround aggregate news stories as well as reported articles on current events and trends in the biopharma space
- Ensure that BioSpace editorial standards are maintained
- Provide gripping headlines for articles and newsletters
- Plan, prepare, and write exclusive features and special reports
- Organize, edit and publish stories using a content management system (CMS)
- Proactively identify & recommend enterprising story ideas
- Develop and maintain relationships with PR media agencies, investment analysts, and other key industry sources
- Provide press coverage at key industry events
- Monitor news-gathering operations and keep abreast of industry news flow
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, or the life sciences; advanced degree preferred
- 2+ years of journalism experience covering the biopharma industry
- Impeccable writing and organizational skills with obsessive attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of the AP Style Guide and copyediting
- Strong communication skills necessary
- Proven ability to develop and cultivate relationships with industry executives, PR agencies, investment analysts, and other key industry sources
- Proactive approach to identifying editorial opportunities
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced, online publishing environment
- Working knowledge of SEO fundamentals
- Ability to work independently and collaborate freely with team members
BioSpace offers a flexible work schedule and competitive compensation and benefits package, including the week off between Dec 25 and Jan 1!