Write Reports with State Rankings / Experience with Data and Z-Scores
Miami, FL, United States
|January 29, 2024
I am looking for someone with experience creating industry reports around state rankings. This would be similar to what WalletHub does (https://wallethub.com/edu/most-innovative-states/31890), what US News does (https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education) and what my company does (https://prismpragency.com/seo-linkbuilding/)
Let's say I have a client in the business space. Would ask you to come up with ideas like "Best States to Start a Business" and you would come up with the federal data points to analyze and you would handle the calculations.
Here is what the finished piece would look like: https://www.simplifyllc.com/best-and-worst-states-to-start-a-business/
Here was the data and methodology below. This job is for someone that can come up with the topic, find the data points to use, do the calculations and write the piece. We have someone to do the graphics unless you do that, too.
IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO DO THE DATA/Z-SCORE PORTION DO NOT APPLY
We used the most recent data for seven metrics to determine the best and worst states to start a business. We used a Z-score distribution to scale each metric relative to the mean across all 50 states and Washington, D.C., and capped outliers at 3. We multiplied these scores by -1 if it was better to have a lower rate, including for corporate tax rates and inflation. A state’s overall ranking was calculated using its average Z-score across the seven metrics. Here’s a closer look at the metrics we used:
- New business growth rate, Nov. 2022-2023 (Census Bureau)
- Share of businesses that say their current performance is excellent, Dec. 2023 (Census Bureau)
- Job creation rate, 2021 (Census Bureau)
- Consumer spending growth, 2021-2022 (Bureau of Economic Analysis)
- Maximum corporate tax rate, 2023 (Federation of Tax Administrators)
- Regional inflation as of Nov. 2023, relative to Jan. 2021 prices (U.S. Senate)
- Educated worker mobility: Net migration in 2022 among workers with at least some college, an associate's, bachelor's or graduate degree (Census Bureau)
Apply for this Job
Send your resume to this employer.