The Villages Media Group
The Villages, FL, Florida
|Date Posted||November 06, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
The magazine writer position offers an exciting opportunity to join a fun, dynamic team, that works together, collaborating on each month’s content. Put your creativity to work as you explore our unique community and its incredibly diverse demographic. Our writers have interviewed celebrities, including Jay Leno and REO Speedwagon, and written an array of stories on lifestyle topics. Writers who want to grow, learn new things, meet interesting people and attend awesome events, shows and festivals are encouraged to apply. Must love words, people, and fun, and have a passion for storytelling. This publication covers all of The Villages Communtiy in Florida.
- Gathers and verifies factual information and authentic detail through interview, observation and research. Translates technical or bureaucratic lingo into clear, concise and reader-friendly language.
- Outlines and writes attention grabbing magazine stories as assigned in a factual, timely manner according to style, standards and deadlines established by the editor.
- Schedules and coordinates photo shoots to accentuate or tell a story. Takes and uploads basic photographs as necessary.
- Participates in brainstorming sessions for covers, story ideas and design for The Villages Magazine.
- Organizes material and determines emphasis.
- Performs the data entry of various calendar listings, rewrites press releases into magazine style and compiles basic briefs, when needed.
- Scans and/or photocopies documents, correspondence and photos.
- Handles some basic pagination of assigned features, if needed.
- Supports the magazine in tasks such as coordinating photo assignments, interviews and maintaining filing systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/ Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and six months to one-year related experience either in college journalism or outside experience with a magazine, newspaper or online publisher.
- Must be computer proficient and familiar with online databases and other research tools and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends as requested. (very occasionally)
- Must be able to demonstrate creativity and ability to work independently and ability to multi-task in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and contributes to a healthy team dynamic.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to company standards.
Benefits for Full-Time eligible positions:
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance | Basic Life & AD&D | Voluntary Life Insurance | HSA/FSA & 401k | PTO & Paid Holidays | The Villages® Charter School eligibility | and much more!
If required to transport from job to job, employee will provide own transportation to job site. When personal vehicle is used to transport to job site, The Villages will reimburse the employee on the actual mileage of utilization based on the rate set by The Villages at that time. Employee will act in a responsible way in the operation of their personal vehicle by complying with state laws in the operation of any motor vehicle including providing personal insurance on their own vehicle. The Villages is not responsible for providing personal auto insurance or any loss or expense that may result in the use of the personal vehicle. Employee must use the proper restraints when operating their personal or a company vehicle.